Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Do your homework

Ryan (of Micks Poker Pages up in Misawa) made a couple of comments to my last post with suggestions for improving.

I have to admit, my first reaction was a defensive one. Get PokerTracker and use it to find my leaks and plug them? Oh yeah, like I had not thought of that before!

The nagging feeling that followed was the admission to myself that although I am using PT for tracking and categorizing other players, I haven't been using it at all regularly to review my own play and look for problems.

So tonight after work instead of firing up some actual poker, I just sat down with PT and went through a bunch of hands from my most recent limit holdem sessions. You can probably guess what I found. At one point C stuck her head through the door to my computer room and asked, "Are you all right? What was that noise?"

The noise was a incredulous "huugh?!" from me as I watched a replay of me making a lousy, lousy call to a turn raise where I had no odds to continue, and should have known better. I know better, right? Maybe not.

I went through a slew of hands and found similar mistakes. "Well, yeah," I told myself, "but cut me some slack, I was four-tabling to try to finish up that Party bonus at the time!"

I could slap myself when I tell myself stupid shit like that.

Anyhow, time to suck it up, eat my humble pie, do my homework and review my play after every session.

Thanks Ryan.

2 comments:

John G. Hartness said...

Painful but necessary. I find PT to be valuable in plugging the many leaks in my sieve-like game.

Look forward to meeting you next week!

James said...

Hey, Falstaff! You actually read my crap? I better write something worth it, then...

It's finally starting to sink in that I'm headed to Vegas a week from today. To meet up with one or two hundred people I have never met. This is going to be a blast.

If I can form the PT review habit and stick with it, it should really help. I am finding that I seem to be doing less obviously stupid shit while playing because I know that two hours or a day later I'm going to have to look at that play and justify to myself, "What the hell was I thinking?"

It's also quite affirming to go back and play along again and see the good decisions that I do make. I see an opponent's action, and I can stop, look at the pot odds, fully consider what the best play should be, then hit the forward arrow. If that's what I actually did, it feels pretty nice.

See you in Vegas, man!