Saturday, November 26, 2005

Long Time No Blog

It's been quite a while since my last update - sorry about that.

I'm pretty much through my poker burnout phase. It was good to get away from it for a while. There are probably people who can keep a sustained, deep interest in something for long periods of time, but I am not one of those people. It works better for me to get deeply interested in something for a while, then tire of it and drift away, then come back to it later. The time away from it helps me remember what it was about it that interested me in the first place, and I can experience some of that again.

Have my poker skills suffered for taking a two week break? Maybe a little bit, but in the long run it works in my favor by keeping my interest up and keeping poker from being a grind, from being work, from being something I don't enjoy but keep on doing because "everyone says" you should be constantly working on your game, thinking about poker, improving your poker.

That's fine if you can keep it up indefinitely, but if you can't it works out in your favor to take a break, maybe lose a bit of progress but keep at it in the long run, rather than burning out and giving up completely. Like being on a diet.

(I'm on a diet now, too - trying to slim down at least a bit before heading back to the States for my Vegas trip and then back to Colorado to see my family. I can keep at it for another three weeks knowing that the restaurants and buffets of Vegas are waiting for me. Ah, that's going to taste SO good.)

I started playing poker more than six months ago - honestly, I thought I would play for a while and get tired of it and drop it after a while. But I'm still at it, still interested, still reading and hopefully improving. It may three steps forward and one step back, but this is something I can stick with. I never hoped to be one of those guys who picks up poker and after six months playing and learning intensely on the internet wins a seat to the WSOP and makes a good showing. But let's see what the next couple of years brings.

No comments: