Saturday, November 26, 2005

The Times

A while back I had a young Japanese lady in her early twenties staying at my place for a while. We didn't see eye to eye on many things, including musical tastes. She used to be a fan of Britney Spears, for one thing.

The first season of CSI (Las Vegas) had come out for rental in the video shops recently, so I had rented some of it and was really getting into it. She seemed to like it as well, or at least didn't mind watching it. The opening credits were rolling, and I was smiling at the theme song. "Who are you?" goes well with the theme of the show, I always thought.

Her: "What kind of stupid song is this?"

My thoughts come to a crashing halt like a bad shopping cart catching its front wheel on a wood chip.

Me: "Uh... this is a classic rock song, by a band called The Who."

Her: "... Never heard of them."

Me: "........"

I thought of trying to explain, but just how do you explain The Who to someone who grew up on Britney Spears?

No comments: