Thursday, April 20, 2006

Quick One

I can't seem to find much time for blog updates lately. I have the time, actually, but I've been spending it playing online and grinding out the last of my Full Tilt bonus. Bad blogger. At least the bonus is cleared now and I made a reasonable profit doing it. I'm doing pretty well at no limit cash games - Harrington on Holdem is my bible.

I got busy last week and didn't get a chance to write up our visit to the new spot in Shibuya doing poker nights, Bar Jack. Maybe Mike will write something up, but my memory is already fading. Short version - it seems like a reasonable bar. We had a reasonable crowd of around 16 or 18 poker players, many of them regulars from Duke. We did two tournaments, one starting at 7pm and a followup at 9pm. I had to miss the first 20 minutes or so of the first one to meet Mike at the station and guide him in. I lasted until the final 8 people or so, then got my dwindling stack in with Kings on a board of all lower cards, but two spades. My challenger was on a spade draw and hit it. Ah well, that's poker.

Mike stuck in there and won it, netting 3000 or 4000 yen worth of coupons for drinks and such at the bar. I joked that he made it look like I had brought in a ringer to the game, since it was his first time attending. He backed off and graciously allowed some of the others to win the second tourney.

The bar seems like a nice enough joint, though a bit hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for. There were some beginners there and some non-poker players hanging out, so hopefully it will help bring in some poker awareness to new people in Shibuya.

No comments: