Tuesday, July 19, 2005

"Don't play like a pussy."

"Wise words from a man who knows how to ski..."

I don't know why this phrase has stuck in my head, but it has. Thinking about the Charlie Tuttle tourney has made me think I have been playing too passively. Limping in to see the flop, and if I raise and them am reraised, being unable to re-re-raise. Even calling in that situation is difficult for me in NL. Limit is easier. It's much less of a dilemma if you don't have to worry about your opponent seeing your weakness and putting you in for all your chips at the next opportunity.

So tonight I came home from work and fired up a couple of $25 NL tabled on Empire to see if I was really playing that passively. (I normally play for about an hour right when I get home from work - since I work early shift I get home about 1.5 hours before my GF, so I can have some poker time without widowing her for my computer room.)

I played all right tonight, I think, but the tendency is still there. I broke about even in an hour of play, despite having several players that Poker Tracker flagged as fish as my tables.

On the one hand that I really recall, I was in the big blind with 5-2o, and about three limp to me. I check to see the flop, which comes 3-5-5 rainbow. I bet $2, and two call. Turn comes a Qs. I bet another $2, and the first caller raises to $6. He was seeing a lot of flops, so I figured it was possible he had the other 5, with a better kicker than me. I couldn't bring myself to reraise or call, so I folded. So did the other player, so I didn't get to see what he was holding.

Could he have had A-5 or K-5, enough to limp in, call to see if I felt I had the best hand, then raise aggressively when I didn't seem to? Or was he doing a slowplay with QQ and then put me on the spot when he got trips? Or could he have had A-K or A-Q and figure his overcards were good?

I don't know and won't know now, but it seems like a pussy play to me.

2 comments:

Poker Rabbit said...

Well, he definitely didn't put you on a 5, since you led out on the flop and then made a small bet on the turn. Whether he had you beat is an open question, because he might have played 33 or KJ pretty much the same way... It's not that you played like a pussy, you just didn't play in a way that defined the opponent's hand. Betting more on the turn, or check-raising the flop, would have given you a better idea where you were at.

James said...

Rabbit, thanks for the comments.

Check-raising the flop sounds like a good suggestion. I haven't really tried any check-raising on NL tables, since I associate it more with a ploy to get an extra bet in on a limit table. I'll do some experimenting to see how I can use it in a NL game.